Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Holiday

There are not many holidays that you can awake to the sound of AK-47s, however, this morning this was how I was awakened at sunrise - 6:30am. Today is the celebration of the formation of the Sudan People's Liberation Movement/Army. Guns are still pretty common around here and are used in many celebrations. I asked Simon how many people had guns and he commented,"Oh, everyone has a gun, I only have one but most families have two or three" (these are assault rifles, usually AK-47s which cost about $100 in the market). I asked where he learned to use his gun and he told me his father had showed him but also his mother (his biological mother; Simon's father has two wives) and his wife knew how to use the gun - everyone does he said.

Most people believe there will be war again before the vote in 2011. This is the vote on whether the south should become its own country apart from the north. The main issues here though is not religious but centers around power, money, and resources (oil). However, as Christian's we know this is a spiritual battle.

Please pray for peace here.
Pray that many would come to know Christ during this window of peace.
And pray that the Christians here would be strengthened as they endure many hardships.

1 comment:

Red Ink and Vibrato said...

You are being prayed for in a special way this weekend, Phil... by people you may never meet but who care deeply just the same. "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." --A "cousin" (through Aunt Marlene!)