Thursday, July 3, 2008

What does 84 Billion Dollars get you...

I have been around this country for a while now but I think this is the worse I have seen it. I asked my staff and many of them also agree we are in some of the worse times. The markets have always been a bit bare but this week has been especially bad (see photos below - cell phone pictures taken at one of the largest super markets here). 84 Billion might buy you a few loaves of bread (currently 25 Billion for one loaf) or a bit of meat if you could find it but for most people even this amount is out of their budget. Many people only earn around 200 Billion a month, which barely gets them to and from work. Now with many countries not allowing products in, and with the country providing the paper on which the currency is printed stopping its supply we may be in a bit of tough spot for a while. This country has one of the worst economies in the world but some of the highest prices for commodities as almost everything has to be imported. I went to buy a surge protector and found it was $200 USD - guess I will hold off on that for a while!

It is hard to say what the future holds but we ask for your prayers.

Pray for the people of this country
Pray for our registration process to be pushed through
Pray for Justice and Peace




1 comment:

Renee said...

Zach and I will be praying for you and the country.

-Renee